Interview with Glenn Bassett, author of Wordplay


WordplayTitle: Wordplay
Author: Glenn Bassett
Publisher: Organization Diagnostics
Pages: 270
Genre: Business
Format: Paperback/Kindle

 WordPlay lays out the functions of language as the foundation of what is loosely called mind. Studies of language in primitive cultures by anthropological linguists demonstrate the existence of a basic set of words called semantic primes in every cultural setting. Language is extended and elaborated on the foundation of semantic primes to construct a mental map of the perceived phenomenal world. Once in place, a rich culture of language is passed on from each generation to the next by example. Words ultimately become so ubiquitous and necessary that they take on a reality all their own. Mental maps become more real than the reality of direct experience. Establishment of a critical capacity for knowing truth demands a study of psycholinguistics. The fund of social psychological research made available through research over the past century offers a window on the way words are used to captivate, illuminate, intimidate, inform and imbue us with intelligence. WordPlay is a compilation of the most salient research that pertains to language use. It is a layman’s introduction to psycholinguistics. The emphasis is on how words shape behavior and become the substance of the mind. This is knowledge of those habits of mind that can interfere with straight, clear thinking. It is antidote to functional social ignorance of our rich language culture.

For More Information

How have you been able to use social media (Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, etc.) to help market your book?  

This is new to me and I am working my way through it.  I periodically post to my blog site, Management Insights, and notify everyone of the posting who is on my Facebook and Linked-In followers.

Do you have any advice for new authors looking to promote themselves on these sites?  

Don’t expect miracles.  I committed several months to involvement with Linked In discussion group sites taking advantage of every possible opportunity to steer members to my Management Insights web site.  Initially, there was interest, but it did not last.  The internet is a mass gathering of people clamoring for attention.  They respond to your cues if it fits their agenda.  

What type of writing routine do you have? Any tips you can share about it?  

It is important to vary activities to avoid going stale.  I write for a few days, then switch to outdoor physical work for a few more in order to stay mentally fresh.  When I’m not writing I think about the next writing project.  I get some of my best insights with a shovel or axe in my hands.  

How has it been trying to balance your writing with your day job and/or family life?  Is there anything you would change?  

I have near full freedom to set my own schedule.  There are no significant conflicts between writing and domestic activities.  My wife is fully supportive of my work and edits all my work.

Setting is an extremely important aspect in grabbing your readers’ attention.  What made you choose to set your book as popular psycholinguistics.  

That’s exactly what it is, an exposition of how language works for or against people.  It is a treatise on how to defend your personal integrity and avoid drowning in a sea of words.

What types of books do you read?  How do you think they have influenced your writing?  

I read mostly non-fiction, like biography, history, science, psychology and current events.  I am a pragmatics/realist.  I want to engage with real issues.


Dr. Glenn Bassett is Professor Emeritus of Management and former Dean of Business at the University of Bridgeport.  A graduate of Berkeley and Yale, as well as a former corporate staffer at General Electric, Dr. Bassett’s career has focused on applied Social Psychology.  WordPlay is the result of exended research into the science of psycholinguistics. He is the author of numerous articles and published books, including The Managers Craft.

For More Information

0 comments:

Post a Comment